The Congressional Recognition Award was presented by Congressman Bill Posey on Saturday October 13, 2012 at the 1st Annual Viva Brevard Festival which was held at Palm Bay Regional Park in Palm Bay Florida.
Marta M. Fiol, Chair of the Nominating Committee of the Viva Brevard Festival who notified Luis of his selection said, “It is indeed gratifying to see all the many individuals in our community that are making such a wonderful difference in peoples' lives; lives that will be changed for the better, and hopefully pass on what they have learned and observed from you!”
For over 20 years Luis has selflessly supported his community by:
- Teaching people with disabilities how to manufacture products in an assembly environment as part of the Association of the Blind
- Rebuilding and painting houses for the disabled or economically challenged community members as part of the “Paint Your Heart Out” Team
- Establishing a Hispanics Inspiring Students’ Performance & Achievement Organization (HISPA) local chapter in Shreveport, LA to promote growth, education and advancement within the Hispanic community.
- Promoting education and science by developing and teaching electronic circuits classes focused on radio frequency technologies.
- Coaching students, ages 5 – 17 basketball and baseball for 15 years in both Louisiana and Florida.
- Participating in and supporting multiple cancer associations, including bike rides, walk-a-thons, and cancer relays.
Luis joined Contec in 2004 and has been instrumental in the development of Contec's corporate giving plan, which includes a long history of support for the American Cancer Society. Additionally he spearheaded the development of Contec’s unique Summer Internship Program which provides opportunities for local students to learn more about business and the manufacturing industry. Luis also implemented a program with local organization Bridges, to help children with disabilities to learn manufacturing and assembly of products. (Today, Contec outsources the build of 1000’s of units a year to Bridges.) Luis regularly gives of himself to youth organizations within the surrounding community. Of particular importance to Luis, (who was born to Spanish parents in Havana, Cuba) is the time he volunteers at local schools where he promotes and teaches the value of education and freedom.
“It is hard to take credit for doing something I believe is a personal responsibility. Communities grow, thrive and are made strong by the individuals within them. But I am extremely honored to receive this special award and I hope the recognition encourages others to help strengthen their community.” said Alvarez
Contec Americas is a global technology design, manufacturing, and integration company with an extensive portfolio of solutions ranging from tier 1 computers to fully custom computing platforms, displays, and All-in Ones (AIO). Contec provides additional value to its customers through product design & innovation, life cycle management, logistics and post-production support. Our products and services are sold around the world to customers in many segments including industrial automation, IoT/M2M, medical and diagnostics, transportation, military simulation, and gaming. Contec Americas is a proud member of the Contec Co., Ltd. Group companies, founded on innovations in industrial computing and PC based technology since 1975.